Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Shooting an Elephant


How are there people in the world that do not feel bad about torturing animals?

Was it really peer pressure that drove the European to kill the elephant?

Could have there been another way for him to feel like he could’ve been accepted by the people and not have killed the elephant?

This article reminded me of this movie that I watched when I was little, Mighty Joe Young. It was about a woman, Jill, who raises a giant gorilla that has been being hunted by poachers. For their safety they relocate to the US, but there Joe is still hunted by another group of people running a fake wildlife preserve and selling the animals organs on the black market for money. Watching this as a little girl, I just didn’t understand why someone would want to kill animals for money and have no remorse. I think that the only reason we should kill animals is for food, even then I don’t like to think of animals being killed for me to eat. But that’s the point, I feel bad thinking about that, and its not for money like these people do. Poachers kill animals for money and get a sort of sick pleasure out of doing so. That’s what confused me when I was little and to this day reading the article it made me angry that there are people who don’t have any regard of the animals. It made me angry that the European killed the animal just to make himself look better. He looks more weak in my eyes that anything because he thought that only way to please the people was to do what he did. If he was really brilliant he should have found some other way, or not have cared what they thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment